NordVPN adds new malware protection to the VPN. The feature, called ‘Threat Protection, is intended to protect VPN users even better on the internet. The provider reported this in its blog on Wednesday.
Currently, Threat Protection is only available to macOS users. The feature is also gradually being made available to Windows users. In addition, it will be installed automatically with an update to the VPN app. So users do not need to download new software.
This addition to NordVPN is another step Nord Security takes towards broad internet security. Previously, of course, it already offered its password manager, now some kind of antivirus protection is added. The provider’s product designer, Vykintas Maknickas: “ With the introduction of Threat Protection, we will be able to offer more services and more comprehensive protection that doesn’t depend merely on your VPN connection. †
How does NordVPN’s Threat Protection protect you from malware?
NordVPN’s Threat Protection helps users avoid three cybersecurity risks: malware, tracking, and ads or pop-ups. It does this in the following ways:
- Threat Protection warns you if you try to visit a fake website.
- It scans all your downloaded files for malware and immediately deletes them as soon as it finds malware. This way the file cannot damage your device.
- It blocks trackers so that they cannot keep track of the user’s information. This feature also works if you are not connected to a VPN server.
- Threat Protection ensures that phishing and other malicious advertisements and pop-ups do not load. This leads to the user not even seeing these pop-ups.
How do I get Threat Protection from NordVPN?
You don’t have to worry about buying a new service from the company. Threat Protection is integrated into NordVPN itself. You don’t even need to connect to a VPN server to enable the extra protection. You just need to enable the feature.
You do this by following these steps:
- Log in to NordVPN or create an account if you don’t have a subscription yet.
- Download the NordVPN app directly from the website.
- Open the app and log in.
- Click the shield icon on the left side of the app.
- Select what Threat Protection may protect you against (“Ads”, “Trackers”, “Web malware”, “File malware”, “Run deep file scans for malware detection”).
NordVPN is not Nord Security’s only product. This leader in the cybersecurity market has other great services, including NordPass (password manager), NordLocker (cloud storage) and NordLayer (protecting your company network).
The company started as a passion project but has since grown into an industry leader. However, Nord Security still stands behind its original ideals of self-assurance, trust and innovation.
Catch up on more articles here
Follow us on Twitter here